TORTILLA DE PATATAS WITH JAMON & CHORIZO
"Tortilla de patatas" is a very traditional Spanish dish. It might not be one of the most visually tempting Spanish dishes, but the taste of the confit potatoes and fluffy eggs is something everyone should experience.
Making "tortilla de patatas" might seem super simple, but it requires some skill and practice to master the right fluffy egg texture. There are numerous regional variations throughout Spain, made with chorizo, mushrooms, cheese, artichokes, onions etc. We believe the tastiest combination is with jamón of course.
500 g potatoes
150 ml of olive oil
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into very thin slices.
- Fry the potatoes until tender on medium heat in a larger pan. Do not worry if the slices break. Then add the sliced jamon (or chorizo) and fry for a minute. Take the potatoes out of the pan and let them drain properly either on a paper napkin or in a colander.
- Whisk the eggs thoroughly in a bowl. Add the fried potato slices and jamon (or chorizo), salt and mix all gently.
- Heat some olive oil in a small pan with a non-stick surface on medium heat. Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Lower the heat and leave the tortilla on the pan. When the mixture begins to harden in the bottom layer but is still liquidy on the top, remove the pan from the heat.
- Place a plate on top of the pan and turn over so that the tortilla is on the plate now. Slide the tortilla back into the pan and fry the other side on low heat for a few minutes so that the inside is fluffy but not dry.
- Serve with some salad and enjoy!
See more recipes on JAMON.CO.UK BLOG