STUFFED SQUID WITH JAMON
Stuffed squids are very popular in Spain. If you are a seafood and Jamon lover, you will enjoy this recipe! Plus we also share a few tips on how to prepare the squid for cooking.
Cooking a squid can be tricky. There is no chef in the world who has not turned this great ingredient into a rubbery disaster at least once in his life. And yet it's much easier than you think. Fry on a hot pan for one minute from both sides or simmer for at least 35 min. Anything in between ends in a disaster.
600g smaller squid (4-6 pcs)
100g jamon serrano
2 cloves of garlic
1 glass of dry white wine
1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs
salt pepper to taste
1. Detach the head with the tentacles and guts from the bell-shaped body by gently pulling.
2. Cut off the tentacles just above the eyes and discard the rest. Keep the tentacles for the stuffing.
3. Remove the transparent bone from inside the bell and rinse the inside with cold water. Make sure you remove all of the bone.
4. Remove the layer of the speckled skin from the bell-shaped body to leave only the white bladder with wings. It is quite easy and although rubber gloves are recommended, you will do well without them.
1. Cut the tentacles into the smallest possible pieces.
2. Chop one onion, garlic, parsley leaves, breadcrumbs and jamon into fine pieces, and mix all together.
3. Add salt and pepper, and sprinkle with a teaspoon of wine.
4. Stuff each squid with some of the mixture. Close the open end with one toothpick.
1. Use a deep frying pan that allows us to fry all stuffed squid in one go.
2. Heat up some olive oil and add one chopped onion.
3. Brown the onion on medium heat, add the squids and fry them on both sides.
4. Add some chopped parsley leaves, and pour in some wine then bake in a pot on low heat, occasionally turning according to squid size for at least 30 minutes. If the wine evaporates during baking, add a little water.
5. Serve either a whole squid (without a toothpick) or cut in half/ rings. To finish off, pour some of the sauce over the squid and enjoy!