Habas con Jamon
This quick and easy recipe for broad beans with jamón is one of the most traditional Andalusian dishes. It's popular especially in the autumn, when the markets are filled with hairy green bean pods.
It is excellent as an appetiser to lamb dishes, but it can also be served as a main rustic dish. The beans used in this recipe are soft, freshly peeled from the bean pods, which do not need to be soaked or otherwise treated in advance.
olive oil, salt, pepper
1.5 kg of freshly peeled or frozen beans
one larger onion finely chopped
200 g jamon serrano cut into small cubes
finely chopped flat-leaved parsley for garnish
- Pour some olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the chopped onion and fry over low heat.
- Add the peeled beans, and cover with a lid. Leave to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the beans are soft.
- Add the cubed jamón pieces, and mix everything well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with some chopped flat-leaved parsley.