Green Peas with Jamon
Green Peas with jamón are less common, but a more interesting combination than the much more popular "fava beans" with jamón.
In Spain, this dish is mainly associated with spring, although even in the autumn there is a large selection of excellent fresh peas at a surprisingly low price.
Peas are very healthy and contain many antioxidants and fiber that can prolong your life. And if you add our natural & preservative-free jamon, you will get a very yummy and healthy meal at the same time!
500g freshly peeled peas
1 small onion
150g jamon serrano (cut into thin strips)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Finely chop the peeled onion.
2. Place a deep pot with some olive oil on a low heat, and lightly fry the onion so that's only translucent.
3. Add the jamon strips together with the peas and mix everything. Cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the peas are soft. Make sure that the peas do not stick to the pot. If there is no liquid in the pot, add a little water.
4. Taste the peas and add salt and pepper, mix thoroughly and let cook for a minute.
5. Be careful when adding salt as the salt contained in the jamon will already salt the food.